How to Create Your Class Group or Other Group on HEARD
Joining HEARD is easy, and set up takes just a few minutes.
Click here to sign up. Then follow along with these simple steps:
1. Click Join with Facebook or Join with Email.
2. If you Join with Email, complete the sign up page. Click Join with Email.
If you Join with Facebook: Click Edit this to designate what information HEARD will receive. You can uncheck the box for Friend list. Click Continue as [Your Name].
3. Enter your zip code. Click Finish.
4. You'll see a sample newsfeed. Look around, and tap Click to Remove in the yellow box.
5. Next, complete your profile, which makes up your group's online directory. Click Complete Profile.
Add your school (under Join schools) if your school has already joined HEARD. A school group that has joined HEARD will be turned private. And the admin will be contacted to approve your request.
6. Add your real full name and photo. This helps people easily identify everyone in the community.
Add as little or as much contact info, like email, phone and address. Everyone will be able to reach you even if you don't disclose that info.
7. Once your profile is complete, it's time to create your group. Click +CREATE at the top right.
Encourage parents to add their child and partner using real full names and photos.
8. Click Private Group.
9. Click the Group Type
10. Enter the name of your class or group. If your school is already on HEARD, you'll see your school's name as an option under Add Class/Group to a School. Click the circle on the right if your group is part of the school.
If you are part of a school group, you'll see it listed under Add Group to a School, and you can choose to connect your group to the school group.
You did it! Now, let's help you invite parents (and other teachers & admins) to your group.
If you want to tell parents about HEARD before inviting them, here's a letter you can share. Or copy and paste it into the invite message below.
Consider posting content before parents join, like a welcome post, supply list, or upcoming event. This will give parents something to engage in when they join.
There are two ways to invite parents and other teachers/admins:
1) Enter email addresses in the To field. Then type in a new Personal Message. Click Send Invites.
2) Click Cancel on the previous screen. You'll get this screen. Click Invite People (lower middle icon).
Here, you can:
Click +Add Class/Group Leader* to add another teacher, room parent(s), assistant coach.
Click +Add New Members to add parents.
Or invite others by creating your own email with a
special Invite Link to join.
*Group leaders have admin status. Admins can send important Announcement posts that bypass email notification settings. Admins can also delete posts or comments from the group feed, and assign other admins.
Now's a good time to adjust your notification settings. You'll get emails notifying you about all the activity happening in your group. You can change the frequency of these notifications -- ranging from High to Mute.
Click on your name at the top right. Then click Settings.
Under Email Frequency, select a frequency level from the drop-down menu for each group (located on the right).